This post is a round up of all we did while in Florida 2011. Included are the day by day posts along with the general posts written while we were out in Orlando. I have put these into categories and have also provided links to the websites of the attractions, shops and restaurants we visited and would recommend.
The holiday itself was based around the needs to two teenaged boys and two adults acting like teenagers! Even if you don’t fit into either category you are bound to find something here that appeals to you given how much there is to do in Florida.
Finally, this was all correct in April 2011 but is subject to change – check the links to the official sites provided to see if it holds true now. And enjoy!
Things to do
- Disney Hollywood Studios 1 and 2
- Disney Animal Kingdom
- Disney EPCOT
- Disney Magic Kingdom and 2
- Downtown Disney
- Disney Water Parks
- Universal Studios 1 and 2
- Universal Islands of Adventure (Harry Potter)
- Boggy Creek Airboats (official site)
- Congo River Adventure Golf (official site)
- Bok Tower Gardens (official site)
Places to Eat
There are plenty of chain restaurants in Florida that you will recognise from the UK but there are also a vast number of US only places that serve great food. The following are some of the places we have tried and return to on a regular basis:
- Perkins – great breakfasts – check out my favourite the Tremendous Twelve
- Ruth’s Chris Steak House – the best steakhouse. Once you have eaten here you will never want to eat steak in the UK again but your wallet will take a beating
- Cracker Barrel – a good value family restaurant serving traditional style food
- Bahama Breeze – another good, more upmarket, restaurant
- Red Lobster – great for fish
- Downtown Disney (official site) – plenty of choice from McDonalds to themed restaurants to relaxed dining.
Places to Shop
So the dollar rate isn’t as good as it once was but there are still bargains to be had, particularly clothes:
- Lake Buena Vista – mainly clothes but also a good character outlet selling cheap Disney stuff
- Premium Outlets – Higher end clothes retailers
- Barnes & Noble – Book store. There is one opposite Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse on West Sand Lake Road. Pay a visit before getting a great steak!
- Coupons – don’t leave home without them!
Americana & Trivia
Various topics mentioned in the posts that capture the essence of both America and the holiday:
This is a list of all posts in the order that they were posted:
- Odds & Sods
- DAY 15 – And Back Home
- DAY 14 – Disney Hollywood Studios (again)
- DAY 13 – Rest Day
- DAY 12 – Magic Kingdom & Blizzard Beach
- DAY 11 – Boggy Creek & Crazy Golf
- DAY 10 – Disney’s EPCOT
- DAY 9 – Bok Tower Gardens
- DAY 8 – Magic Kingdom
- DAY 7 – Universal Studios
- DAY 6 – Disney Animal Kingdom
- DAY 5 – Shopping
- DAY 4 – The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- DAY 3 – Disney Hollywood Studios
- DAY 2 – The Tremendous Twelve
- DAY 1 – Arrival in the US